|Qualification||Institution||Year of Completion|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Sciences||Karolinska Institutet, Sweden||2015|
|Master of Science in Biomedicine||Karolinska Institutet, Sweden||2010|
|Bachelor of Science in Life Sciences (Hons)||National University of Singapore||2005|
|Position||Organisation/Institution||Date of Tenure|
|Assistant Manager||Duke-NUS Medical School||10/2017 – 03/2018|
|Scientific Administrator||National Cancer Centre Singapore Pte Ltd||06/2015 – 10/2017|
|Laboratory Biologist||Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR||09/2005 – 08/2008|
|Business Development Executive||Biofrontier Technology||07/2005 – 08/2005|
Selected Publications – Scientific
|Niklasson M*, Maddalo G*, Sramkova Z*, Mutlu E*, Wee S*, Sekyrova P, Schmidt L, Fritz N, Dehnisch I, Kyriatzis G, Krafcikova M, Carson BB, Feenstra J, Marinescu VD, Segerman A, Haraldsson M, Gustavsson AL, Hammarström LG, Jenmalm-Jensen A, Uhrbom L, Altelaar AF, Linnarsson S, Uhlén P, Trantirek L, Vincent CT, Nelander S, Enger PØ, Andäng M. Membrane-depolarizing channel blockers induce selective glioma cell death by impairing nutrient transport and unfolded protein/amino acid responses. Cancer Res. 77(7); 1741–52, 2017.|
|Schmidt L, Baskaran S, Johansson P, Padhan N, Matuszewski D, Green LC, Elfineh L, Wee S, Häggblad M, Martens U, Westermark B, Forsberg-Nilsson K, Uhrbom L, Claesson-Welsh L, Andäng M, Sintorn IM, Lundgren B, Lönnstedt I, Krona C, Nelander S. Case-specific potentiation of glioblastoma drugs by pterostilbene. Oncotarget, 7(45):73200-73215, 2016.|
|Wee S, Niklasson M, Marinescu VD, Segerman A, Schmidt L, Hermansson A, Dirks P, Forsberg-Nilsson K, Westermark B, Uhrbom L, Linnarsson S, Nelander S, Andäng M. Selective calcium sensitivity in immature glioma cancer stem cells. PLoS One, 9(12): e115698, 2014.|
|Xie Y, Tan EJ, Wee S, Manser E, Lim L and Koh CG. Functional interactions between POPX2 phosphatase and mDia modulate RhoA pathways. J. Cell Sci., 121(4): 514-21, 2008.|
Experience and Technical Background
Primary patent practice areas by technology:
- Stem cells
- Molecular Biology
A. General technical areas:
- Stem cells
- Molecular Biology
- Cell Biology
B. Honours research:
- Studied the molecular mechanisms and downstream effects involved in Aflatoxin B1 removal by Lactic Acid Bacteria.
C. Masters research:
- Investigated the susceptibility of neuroblastoma cancer stem cells to different small molecule inhibitors.
D. PhD research:
- Investigated the susceptibility of glioma cancer stem cells via drug screening using ion channel modulators, as well as the repurposing of known drugs as possible inhibitors of glioma cancer stem cells.
- Discovered hit compounds that affected glioma cancer stem cells and/or differentiated glioma cells without affecting neural stem cells.
- Discovered Analysed the genomic differences between glioma cancer stem cells and differentiated glioma cells to investigate the gene expression repertoire before and after treatment using the hit compounds from the drug screens.
E. Industry experience:
- Team leader of Grants Management and Administration team.
- Involved in strategic planning according to key stakeholders and senior management’s Masterplan.
- Served as a scientific liaison with external stakeholders.
- Extensive basic and translational research and data analysis.
- Scientific writing and editing.