About The Company
Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
Spruson & Ferguson is a subsidiary of IPH Limited, the first IP services group to list on the ASX.
About The Role
An opportunity exists for a Trainee Patent Attorney (Chemical/Material Science) to join the Chemical/Life Sciences team in our Sydney or Melbourne office.
The ideal candidate will have postgraduate qualifications (PhD level) with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Candidates approaching qualification as a Patent Attorney or already qualified as a Patent Attorney are also encouraged to apply.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Local and international patent prosecution;
- Drafting patent specifications, opinion work, patent oppositions;
- Maintaining and fostering relationships with local and international clients through high quality service; and
- Local business development and marketing activities with a view to growing into future international business development.
As a Trainee Patent Attorney, you will be required to undertake studies in intellectual property (Master of Intellectual Property) towards gaining registration as a qualified Patent Attorney.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this opportunity candidates will have:
- PhD-level qualifications (postdoctoral experience advantageous);
- Strong analytical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- High attention to detail; and
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
What we offer
- Continuing professional development including providing financial assistance in the undertaking of studies in intellectual property to gain registration as a qualified Patent Attorney;
- The opportunity to work closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and challenging work with a substantial local and overseas client base;
- Equitable salary packaging;
- Flexible working for all employees;
- Parental leave for all genders;
- Learning & Development opportunities; and
- Health and well-being programs.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect to enable us all to feel valued and be the best we can be.
How To Apply
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. We remain committed to providing reasonable and fair adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free, transparent recruitment process and supportive workplace.
If this role sounds like a great fit, apply now with your updated resume and a cover letter introducing yourself and why this role is right for you.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.