Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
Spruson & Ferguson is a subsidiary of IPH Limited, the first IP services group to list on the ASX.
About the role
We are seeking degree qualified mechanical engineers, electrical engineers or other related engineering technologies including physics with a minimum of two years industry experience (preferable but not essential)to join our Engineering/ICT team in our Sydney office. Candidates approaching qualification as a patent attorney or already qualified as a patent attorney are also encouraged to apply.
The key responsibilities of this role, at the trainee stage, include:
- Using technical expertise to interpret and analyse patent specifications, drawings, standards, regulations, technical literature and related products and processes;
- Assisting in interviewing inventors and drafting technical descriptions of inventions and industrial designs;
- Performing searches of patents and industrial designs;
- Analysing searches and search results regarding inventions and designs, including examination reports issued by government patent and designs offices, and assisting in advising clients in relation thereto; and
- Preparing correspondence for submission to government patent and designs offices in the pursuit of patent and design protection for clients’ IP protection.
As a trainee patent attorney, you will be required to undertake studies in intellectual property (Master of Intellectual Property) towards gaining registration as a qualified patent attorney.
Qualifications, skills and experience
To be considered for this opportunity candidates will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or related engineering technologies including physics;
- A minimum of two years industry experience is preferred but not essential;
- Strong analytical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm; and
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
We offer continuing professional development including providing financial assistance in the undertaking of studies in intellectual property to gain registration as a qualified patent attorney, the opportunity to work closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and challenging work with a substantial local and overseas client base.
As experience and skills grow, as well as offering strong prospects for career and salary advancement, we offer a range of staff incentive plans.
We also offer flexible working arrangements including working from home, a flexible dress code that allows employees to dress for their day and paid parental leave.
How to apply
To progress your professional career with one of Australia’s leading intellectual property firms, forward your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted