About Spruson & Ferguson
Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
Spruson & Ferguson is a subsidiary of IPH Limited, the first IP services group to list on the ASX.
About the role
We are seeking a chemical engineer with a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years industry experience (preferable but not essential)to join our Engineering/ICT team in our Melbourne office. Candidates approaching qualification as a patent attorney or already qualified as a patent attorney are also encouraged to apply.
The key responsibilities of this role, at the trainee stage, include:
- Using technical expertise to interpret and analyse patent specifications, drawings, standards, regulations, technical literature and related products and processes;
- Assisting in interviewing inventors and drafting technical descriptions of inventions and industrial designs;
- Performing searches of patents and industrial designs;
- Analysing searches and search results regarding inventions and designs, including examination reports issued by government patent and designs offices, and assisting in advising clients in relation thereto; and
- Preparing correspondence for submission to government patent and designs offices in the pursuit of patent and design protection for clients’ IP protection.
As a trainee patent attorney, you will be required to undertake studies in intellectual property (Master of Intellectual Property) towards gaining registration as a qualified patent attorney.
Qualifications, skills and experience
To be considered for this opportunity candidates will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification in chemical, materials or process engineering;
- A minimum of two years industry experience is preferred but not essential;
- Strong analytical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm; and
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
What we offer
Spruson & Ferguson offers a wide range of benefits aimed at supporting our employee’s ongoing development, including but not limited to:
- Continuing professional development including providing financial assistance in the undertaking of studies in intellectual property to gain registration as a qualified patent attorney;
- Strong prospects for career advancement as experience and skills grow;
- A competitive salary package;
- Learning and development opportunities including working closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and locations (including Asia) servicing the firm’s substantial local and overseas client base;
- A flexible work environment including working from home;
- Health and well-being programs; and
- Parental leave for all genders.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect to enable us all to feel valued and be the best we can be.
How to apply
Take the next step in your career and apply now by clicking the APPLY button. Please include your resume and a cover letter that outlines your eligibility for the role in your application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. We remain committed to providing reasonable and fair adjustments to provide a positive, barrier free, transparent recruitment process and supportive workplace.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.