An exciting opportunity is available for a degree qualified mechanical engineer or related engineering technologies with a minimum of three years industry experience to join the firm. This role will be based in Melbourne and candidates approaching qualification as a patent attorney or already qualified as a patent attorney will also be considered.
You will be responsible for the following;
- Using technical expertise to interpret and analyse patent specifications, drawings, standards, regulations, technical literature and related products and processes;
- Assisting in interviewing inventors and drafting technical descriptions of inventions and industrial designs;
- Performing searches of patents and industrial designs;
- Analysing searches and search results regarding inventions and designs, including examination reports issued by government patent and designs offices, and assisting in advising clients in relation thereto; and
- Preparing correspondence for submission to government patent and designs offices in the pursuit of patent and design protection for clients’ IP protection.
As a trainee patent attorney, you will be required to undertake studies in intellectual property (Master of Intellectual Property) towards gaining registration as a qualified patent attorney.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification in mechanical engineering or related engineering technologies;
- A minimum of three years industry experience;
- Strong analytical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm; and
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
What we offer
We offer continuing professional development including providing financial assistance in the undertaking of studies in intellectual property to gain registration as a qualified patent attorney; the opportunity to work closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and challenging work with a substantial local and overseas client base. As experience and skills grow, as well as offering strong prospects for career and salary advancement, we offer a range of attractive staff incentive plans.
How to apply
To progress your professional career with one of Australia’s leading intellectual property firms, please click the apply now button to send through your resume and a covering letter.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
About Spruson and Ferguson
Spruson & Ferguson is a leading intellectual property firm committed to providing a fully integrated service for the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of all forms of intellectual property including patents, trade marks and designs.