Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people, includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
Spruson & Ferguson is a subsidiary of IPH Limited, the first IP services group to list on the ASX.
An opportunity is available for a Law Graduate with a keen interest in Trade Marks to join our Trade Mark team working in our Brisbane or Sydney offices. Reporting to and working closely with Principals and senior attorneys from the Trade Mark team, the main responsibilities for this role include:
- Filing and prosecuting trade mark applications;
- Conducting trade mark searches and drafting reports;
- Liaising with clients and providing advice; and
- Conducting due diligence.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to creating a flexible work environment and we are offering hybrid work options for this position. We welcome individuals who are looking to work in a flexible and collaborative environment.
Skills and experience
The successful applicant will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification in law;
- At least one years’ experience as a paralegal within intellectual property;
- A keen interest in expanding their knowledge and experience in the field of intellectual property;
- Excellent technical, written and verbal communication skills;
- Solid research skills and a strong analytical ability; and
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to multitask.
An understanding of the prosecution process, opposition proceedings and the enforcement of trade mark rights is preferred but not essential.
This position is suitable for students who are close to completing their law degree and/or currently completing their Practical Legal Training.
What we offer
Spruson & Ferguson offers a wide range of benefits aimed at supporting our employee’s ongoing development, including but not limited to:
- Challenging work and scope to obtain sought-after expertise in a high-volume trade mark practice;
- Opportunities for professional development and strong prospects for career advancement as skills and experience grow;
- Learning and development opportunities in a supportive environment including working closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and locations (including Asia) servicing the firm’s substantial local and overseas client base;
- A flexible work environment including working from home;
- Health and well-being programs; and
- Parental leave for all genders.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect to enable us all to feel valued and be the best we can be.
How to apply
Take the next step in your career and apply now by clicking the APPLY button. Please include your resume and a cover letter that outlines your eligibility for the role in your application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. We remain committed to providing reasonable and fair adjustments to provide a positive, barrier free, transparent recruitment process and supportive workplace.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.