Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
Spruson & Ferguson is a subsidiary of IPH Limited, the first IP services group to list on the ASX.
About the Role
Spruson and Ferguson is seeking a registered Australian/New Zealand patent attorney from Associate to Senior Associate level, with an electrical, electronics, telecommunications, or computer engineering degree, to join our Engineering/ICT team in our Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney offices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the engineering and/or ICT fields, advising clients in relation to patent portfolio management, infringement and patentability issues, as well as assisting in patent oppositions and/or patent litigation.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to creating a flexible work environment and we are offering hybrid work options for this position. We welcome individuals who are looking to work in a flexible and collaborative environment.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this opportunity candidates will have:
- At least three years post-registration experience (preferable but not essential) as a patent attorney including experience in a broad range of patent attorney work including drafting of patent specifications, assisting with prosecution and opposition work and providing infringement and validity opinions;
- Excellent analytical and technical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm; and
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills.
What we offer
Spruson & Ferguson offers a wide range of benefits aimed at supporting our employee’s ongoing development, including but not limited to:
- A competitive salary package including participation in lucrative staff incentive schemes;
- Continuing professional development and strong prospects for career advancement;
- Learning and development opportunities including working closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and locations (including Asia) servicing the firm’s substantial local and overseas client base;
- A flexible work environment including working from home;
- Health and well-being programs; and
- Parental leave for all genders.
Spruson & Ferguson is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect to enable us all to feel valued and be the best we can be.
How to apply
Take the next step in your career and apply now by clicking the APPLY button. Please include your resume and a cover letter that outlines your eligibility for the role in your application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. We remain committed to providing reasonable and fair adjustments to provide a positive, barrier free, transparent recruitment process and supportive workplace.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.